Slashdot RSS Feed

Developer
May 23, 2008 at 1:39 PM
Hello,

I've been unable to consume the Slashdot RSS feed ( http://rss.slashdot.org/Slashdot/slashdot ) with Argotic.

The following code:

GenericSyndicationFeed testFeed = GenericSyndicationFeed.Create(new Uri("http://rss.slashdot.org/Slashdot/slashdot"));

produces testFeed with Format = None

Am I doing something wrong or is Argotic really having trouble parsing the Slashdot RSS feed?

Thank you,
Ryan

Coordinator
May 23, 2008 at 2:46 PM
There may be a bug in the generic feed class, I will investigate. Have you attempted to just use the RssFeed class instead of the generic reader?
Developer
May 23, 2008 at 4:02 PM
I just verified that the Slashdot feed does, in fact, work if treated as an RssFeed.  It must be an issue with the generic reader as you mentioned.
Developer
May 23, 2008 at 6:08 PM
Edited May 23, 2008 at 6:08 PM
Repeat Post Deleted
Developer
May 23, 2008 at 7:57 PM
I should mention that our project requires the ability to accept multiple types of feeds which (I would think) precludes me from just treating all feeds as RssFeeds.  Should I simply wait for a fix for the generic reader or is there a work-around that I might be able to use?

Thanks
Coordinator
May 23, 2008 at 8:36 PM
You should wait until I have time to investigate, I just wanted to know if the RssFeed class parsed the feed correctly while the GenericFeed failed. I should know more soon.
Developer
May 29, 2008 at 3:43 PM
Hey Oppositional,

Just checking in to see if there is any news regarding this issue.  I will be pushing out a beta test of the application experiencing the problem soon and I was hopeful this might be cleared up before I had to release.

Thanks again for all your help,
Ryan
Coordinator
May 29, 2008 at 5:45 PM
There have been some reported issues on the GenericSyndicationFeed class that I need to look into, hopefully something simple and obvious that I missed. I just started a new job, but I plan on reviewing this issue tonight hopefully. If you can give me an approximate ETA on when you need a fix, I will try to provide a 2008.0.2.0 release that meets your deadline.
Developer
Jun 4, 2008 at 3:24 PM
Oppositional,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  We're shooting to demo a beta of the site this Friday.  While it would be nice to have a fix, it won't be the end of the world if it doesn't work with all feeds.

Thank you again,
Ryan
Coordinator
Jun 4, 2008 at 4:12 PM
Ryan,

Life permitting, I will try to have a new release by Friday morning, or as soon as possible.
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2008 at 5:50 PM
Created work item #10260 to address this issue, this has been fixed for the next release.
Developer
Jul 3, 2008 at 2:18 PM
Oppositional,

2008.0.2.0 has taken care of the issue!  Thank you so much for all of your hard work.

-Ryan