Missing Basic Tutorial Documentation

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:22 PM
I have to confess, the library exposed here is nothing short of phenominal. Why the Internet blogosphere has not gone crazy about it is beyond me .. on the other hand, maybe I've been living under a rock?

However, I noticed that there are some corners that still haven't quite been cleaned up, such as on the home page there are still placeholders for getting-started how-to's, which lead to nothing. (We don't need much, just a few lines of code to get us on our way. Like, if I have an RSS feed I downloaded and I want to parse it and use its object model, which one of the bajillion APIs here do I invoke for that?)

Could be that the lack of a home page and completed tutorial documentation is the sole cause of people not going nuts over this rediculously feature complete framework. Like I said, though, I might still have my head under a rock...
Coordinator
Feb 15, 2008 at 7:12 PM
Dear Jon,

First, thanks for the positive feedback/support, considering the entire library is written by one guy (me), it is nice to see that people find it useful.

I am in agreement that a lack of documentation/examples/tutorial is definitely holding the framework back from wide-spread adoption. I find myself so focused on adding features that the documentation keeps getting pushed.

I am currently reworking the framework for the 2008.0.0.0 release, which I think is going to be much easier to use, and one of the goals I have set is to provide not only simple code documentation, but also a set of tutorials for the core/common scenarios that people are most likely to use the framework for. The Wiki will actually be used in the next release, I promise!

I apologize that is taking so long, but I am just one man. If you are interested in creating documentation or tutorials that will be integrated into the releases, please feel free to contact me through CodePlex and I will add you as a contributor and we can chat/collaborate.

Cheers,
Brian
Coordinator
Feb 27, 2008 at 11:57 PM
Jon,

I have begun creating Wiki pages and adding content and code examples. See the project homepage for the tutorials. I also hope to provide at least one demonstration application in the next release, and eventually some screen-casts to cover more complex topics.