Syndication handlers with asp.net

Topics: Argotic.Core, Provider Model
Oct 20, 2007 at 8:26 AM
Hi

I'm trying to implement the Argotic Syndication Framework with a CMS system and have created my own RssProvider and configured it in web.config.
But I have one question, if I have 10 feeds on my page, how should I distinguish between them when I can only add one rss item and id to the argotic.syndicationHandler config section in web.config?

/Viktor
Coordinator
Oct 20, 2007 at 5:39 PM
The argotic.syndicationHandler configuration section would be used to define the default format and unique identifier for the 'default' feed. You could then use the CreateFeed and CreateItem methods of the syndication manager (e.g. RssSyndication) to add n number of feeds to your back end data store. At this point you would have have 10 feeds with some number of items, and the HTTP hander (syndication.axd) would by default return the 'default' feed you have configured in the syndicationHandler configuration section.

To get one of the other 9 non-default syndication feeds, you would pass the unique identifier for the feed you wish to retrieve by providing an 'id' query string parameter to the HTTP handler (e.g. syndication.axd?id=B03F6360-6B58-4d79-AF9C-85AC71554C51), where in this case B03F6360-6B58-4d79-AF9C-85AC71554C51 represents a Guid that is the providerFeedKey that is associated to one of the syndication feeds being managed by your provider.

Currently the configuration is designed to easily define the default format and unique identifier used to return the default syndication resource returned by syndication.axd when no query string information is provided, but you can use the supported query string parameters to distinguish what syndication resource you wish to return.

Hope this helps!
Oct 21, 2007 at 9:23 AM
Ahh, smart :)
Thanks for the help and the framework!

/Viktor