Feedburner extensions

Topics: Argotic.Extensions
Jul 18, 2007 at 10:04 AM
Edited Jul 18, 2007 at 10:05 AM
Any plans to add Feedburner RSS extensions support to the Argotic framework?

The url on the header of the feed I'm trying to parse (xmlns:feedburner="http://rssnamespace.org/feedburner/ext/1.0") gives me a server error and I can't seem to find where the specification for the Feedburner extensions is located. It appears to be "proprietary" or something.

I would like to be able to read elements such as "feedburner:origEnclosureLink" since the url I'm looking for is stored there rather than in the standard "link" or "enclosure" elements.
Coordinator
Jul 18, 2007 at 3:37 PM
Ubu,

I have created the Implement FeedBurner 1.0 Syndication Extension work item to implement support for this syndication extension. According to the FeedBurner forums, they do not yet provide any official specification for there extension.

The best information I have found so far is at http://www.burningdoor.com/eric/archives/001209.html.

I will have to examine the extension elements and attempt to extract the extension structure, so if you want to do an analysis of the extension's elements/attributes and post it on this thread, that would be appreciated.
Jul 19, 2007 at 7:59 AM
It seems that Feedburner is not really an RSS "extension" per se (hence no "official" specification). It's really more of a postprocessor for existing feeds. However, since the resulting feed contains elements with Feedburner-specific names, it might as well be an extension for all practical purposes.

Apparently a popular Feedburner feature is that it will modify the original feed to redirect each originating link url in order to track clicks. So it replaces the url in the link element with a Feedburner url that tracks the click and then passes the user to the "real" url. The original link url is placed in a <feedburner:origLink> element.

In the feed I'm looking at, it appears that a similar routine is being followed with the enclosure element. The original enclosure value is in the <feedburner:origEnclosureLink> element while the enclosure element contains a Feedburner url. (In this case the intent seems to be not so much for click tracking as to point the user to a short "preview" version of a media file rather than to the full length version).

So, my initial take is that, if Argotic could parse out the values of the <feedburner:origLink> and <feedburner:origEnclosureLink> elements, that might be all that's required. I'll continue to research this and report back to you.
Coordinator
Jul 19, 2007 at 2:46 PM
Edited Jul 19, 2007 at 2:54 PM
I posted a request for documentation for the FeedBurner syndication extension on their support forums, and got a reply back that they plan on providing a specification/documentation, but haven't got around to it yet, and thanked me for reminding them.

Let this be a lesson to all, don't create and utilize a syndication extension unless you also provide a specification or documentation, especially if you are a popular feed producer like FeedBurner. This sort of thing drives developers (or at least me) a little crazy.

Thanks for investigating Ubu, I look forward to seeing your final analysis.