Provide feedback on future changes to the framework

Topics: Request For Comments (RFC)
Coordinator
Jul 16, 2008 at 8:38 PM
Edited Jul 28, 2008 at 11:47 PM
Sometime in mid-2009, I am considering making some major changes to the framework. These changes are driven by a desire to simplify the framework physical architecture and reduce the cost of maintaining the source code and make utilizing the new features provided by the .NET 3.5/3.5 SP1 framework easier to adopt. The timeline for making these changes, as well as what will be changed will be driven by user feedback, so please reply with comments, ideas, opinions, etc.

Refactor Physical Assemblies

1. I am considering merging the current Argotic.Common.dll, Argotic.Core.dll and Argotic.Extensions.dll assemblies into a single Argotic.dll assembly.
    1. The ASP.NET, WCF and HTTP specific features would still reside in the Argotic.Web.dll assembly.
  2. The various classes, interfaces, and enumerations would still be logically segmented using the current namespaces.

Refactor Logical Namespacing

1. I am considering refactoring the logical namespacing away from Argotic.Syndication to a model that uses the web content syndication format, e.g. the new namespaces would be Argotic.Rss, Argotic.Atom, Argotic.Apml, Argotic.Opml, etc.
  2. Would end users prefer to remain using Argotic.Syndication and Argotic.Syndication.Specialized or would you prefer a 'cleaner' break out of the supported web content syndication formats at the namespace level?

Migration Away From .NET 2.0 Targeted Assemblies

1. Currently the Argotic framework provides a consistent API across either .NET 2.0 or .NET 3.5 to support a wide audience.
  2. Providing a uniform API on both .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.5 limits what can be done (or at least increases the complexity) on the .NET 3.5 targeted assemblies.
  3. The availability of .NET 3.5 through hosted web providers will continue to increase, making the need for a .NET 2.0 specific implementation less necessary.
  4. Moving to only targeting the .NET 3.5 framework greatly reduces the maintenance and testing costs while allowing Argotic to provide a richer set of features.

If someone volunteers to focus on maintaining the .NET 2.0 targeted assemblies while I begin to focus on the .NET 3.5 side of things, that would be ideal, but so far outside contributors to this project has been erratic for the most part. I need to research the general availability of .NET 3.5 through hosted providers to determine how quickly the current technology stack landscape is moving towards general support of the .NET 3.5 framework.

If you use the Argotic Syndication Framework, I highly encourage you to reply, as I would like to consider the feedback from users before embarking on any major changes. It would also be nice to just know how many projects utilize this framework, so if you just want to reply with the project name and/or contact details that would be appreciated.