Do you have tests to learn API usage and behavior?

Nov 20, 2007 at 3:31 PM
Just curious, as this looks like a wonderful framework, how do you make sure you have no bugs, you introduce no regression bugs, all features work as expected, etc?
I just got the sourcecode and I couldn't find any unit tests associated with it...
Coordinator
Nov 20, 2007 at 5:02 PM
Daniel,

Locally I am using Visual Studio unit tests and a set of standard test I run to verify core functionality, but had not added the unit test project to the source as not everyone has Visual Studio team suite. I will be the first to admit that unit testing and documentation have taken secondary roles in the past, but as the framework has gained in popularity it has become obvious to me that I need to switch my focus to creating robust documentation and provide unit tests for the framework classes.

As I am a team of one, I have struggled with continuing to improve the framework and provide documentation. I will add providing unit tests to my task list. My current plan is to delay any major releases unless a critical bug needs to be fixed until I have provided more documentation and samples, as well as unit tests for the framework classes. As this framework was written only by me and with no monetary compensation, I do not always have the time and resources to apply that I would like.

From your comment and a few others, it is clear to me that providing unit tests would improve user confidence and improve the framework's quality overall. If you have in interest in contributing, please let me know.
Nov 20, 2007 at 9:55 PM
There's a fairly easy way to provide both NUnit as well as VSTS unit tests with your framework. We used that approach at p&p with deliverables such as the Composite UI Application Block. That way, users that don't have VSTS can simply open the NUnit solution, or even the plain framework one.

There's a bit of overhead in maintaining these solutions and their projects, but I believe it's worth it, absolutely. It would make for a very concrete example of how the various classes can be used (aside from documentation).
Nov 20, 2007 at 10:00 PM
And BTW,
thanks for the offering, and I may indeed contribute if it's OK with you and we end up using your framework.

I understand completely your situation, as I'm the owner and main contributor on a couple projects myself, and finding spare time to work on them is always tricky!
Coordinator
Nov 21, 2007 at 12:00 AM
Daniel,

I would love to learn more about providing both NUnit as well as VSTS unit tests, please feel free to contact me off-line about this. Thanks!
Nov 21, 2007 at 2:20 AM
Getting the Composite UI Application Block in C# is a very good starting point
Feb 27, 2008 at 2:22 PM
Oppositional,

If you upgrade the project to VS 2008, more people have testing built in. In VS2008 it is not just the Team editions that have testing.

Coordinator
Feb 27, 2008 at 4:18 PM
The 2008.0.0.0 and CTP builds are built/based on Visual Studio 2008 projects. Unit testing project(s) are planned to be added to the source prior to the official release, but to learn API usage it is recommended people look at the "Getting Started With The Framework" wiki pages available on the project home page.